Pages

Sunday 1 March 2015

Faces - Sunday Stamps II

I wasn't sure how to use my stamps for the "Faces" theme this week. 

In the end I had to settle for a young Queen,

Great Britain
There's nothing second class about her.

Then there's her even younger son.

Great Britain - The Prince of Wales
This was part of the set issued on 1 July 1969 for the Investiture of the Prince of Wales.

My third face is that of a Maori chief.

New Zealand - 1980
Te Hau Takiri Wharepapa was one of the chiefs who sailed to England in 1862 to meet Queen Victoria, He returned with an English bride.

This fine stamp is on the envelope with the New Zealand roses I showed for Valentines.

Don't forget to see whether there are other faces you recognise at Sunday-stamps-ii-11.

7 comments:

Joy said...

I like black and white photos of the young queen on stamps.

FinnBadger said...

The Maori chief is outstanding.

They always manage to find excellent images when Her Majesty is the stamp subject. I learned recently that when she is the stamp subject, they usually don't add the small silhouette to the stamp.

21 Wits said...

Oh my gosh, the images are outstanding!

VioletSky said...


I usually associate pony tails with perkiness and frivolity, but this Maori's face defies that idea.

And poor Charles doesn't look like he is from this era at all!

Jo said...

I am surprised to learn that the Maori chief found himself an English bride. Interesting bit of history.

Alan Burnett said...

How strange, I saw the one shilling stamp and thought "that's an extortionate amount to pay to send a letter" And then I did the conversion from old to new and remembered that it costs something like 17/6 to send a second class postcard these days and I realised it was a bargain.

Jocelyn said...

I pity that English bride! How odd to see Prince Charles looking so young. My first memory of him is his wedding to Princess Diana. I was almost 8 years old and it was the biggest event in my life. (He was 33 and Diana was only 20)